Richard Yuan Le Zhang (02618)
Date of action: November 19, 2011
Description of action taken
The Inquiry Committee initiated an investigation in response to notification received by the Audit and Investigations Branch of Medical Services Plan ("MSP") that the Registrant had contravened s. 29(1) of the Medical and Health Services Regulation by billing 47 services during the period September 2009 to March 2011 on behalf of his family members for which he was paid $1,081.00. Following the investigation, the Inquiry Committee determined under s.33(6)(c) of the Act to seek a Consent Order under s.36 of the Act with terms that would ensure that the Registrant does not repeat the behavior.
Reasons for decision
The Inquiry Committee determined there was evidence that the Registrant engaged in improper billing of the MSP for his family members totaling 47 treatments in the amount of $1,081.00.
The Inquiry Committee passed a motion to seek a consent order under s. 36 of the Act. The Registrant agreed to give his undertaking and consent to:
- refrain from repeating the conduct to which this matter relates;
- a reprimand for improper billing of MSP;
- pay a fine in the amount of $500.00 for his professional misconduct as it relates to engaging in improper billing of MSP;
- reimburse MSP the sum of $1,081.00;
- pay the sum of $429.46 towards the CTCMA's costs of investigation as calculated in accordance with the tariff of costs established under s. 9(1)(v.1) of the Act.